Purpose of human resources development
To train talents who have advanced expertise and research capabilities and can contribute to the scientific development of Japan as a researcher who can be successful internationally.
Vision of human resources development
- A talent with both a wide basic knowledge and outstanding expertise.
- A talent with a higher outstanding ability for fieldwork or experiments/data analysis.
- A talent with problem-solving skills concerning geoscientific issues.
- A talent with distinguished foreign language skills and communication skills.
- A talent with an ability to teach in higher educational institutions such as universities.
- A talent with a high ethical perspective regarding the research activities.
Policies for the diploma
By fulfilling requirements regulated by the school codes of postgraduate, University of Tsukuba, as well as related codes, it is required to deepen their understanding of various geoscientific phenomena taking place in the atmosphere, hydrosphere, lithosphere, and humanoshere, as well as to have higher expertise in a particular area. In addition, it is required to have an ability to publish globally highly evaluated academic theses. The diploma, a doctoral degree in science, will be awarded to persons who are certified to have following abilities at their final examination;
- Intellect creativity: an ability to create new intellect which can contribute to the future society.
- Management skill: an ability to discover issues from a comprehensive view, and to plan and implement measures to solve them.
- Communication skill: an ability to deliver the true nature of academic outcomes proactively and intelligibly.
- Leadership power: an ability to demonstrate leadership and achieve their goal.
- Internationality: a high level of consciousness and desire to act globally and to contribute to the international society.
- Knowledge and comprehension ability: a higher expertise and comprehension ability related to geoscience.
- Planning ability: an outstanding ability to set a specialized research subject and form a research program to execute.
- Problem-solving ability: an ability to confront various issues and solve the problems by exploring the basic principle behind them.
- Expressiveness: an ability to express themselves based on outstanding foreign language skills and communication skills.
- Creativity: a distinguished creativity to confront various issues in high demand for expertise with a fresh view, and apply results obtained from research.
Furthermore, in this doctoral program, from the perspective of developing students with a high degree of expertise, communication skills, problem-solving skills, foreign language skills, teaching capability, leadership and fieldwork skills, the specific knowledge and abilities to be mastered in the doctoral program are indicated as follows:
- Master excellent expertise and wide knowledge by carrying out outstanding research in the specialized field.
- Master a high level of communication skills, problem-solving skills and foreign language skills corresponding to globalization by presenting at domestic and international conferences.
- Master teaching capability and leadership skills through assisting teaching students as TA, TF, and fieldwork special TA.
- Master a high-level fieldwork skills or advanced experiment/data analysis skills in various regions on the earth.
Careers after the completion
higher educational institutions such as universities, research institutes, private enterprises, a government employee, a museum curator, etc.
Doctoral Program in Geosciences consists of "Geoenvironmental Science Field" and "Earth Evolution Science Field". Please refer to the link below for the details on each field.
Geoenvironmental Science Field is focused on the temporal and spatial study of the environmental conditions across the globe and their natural scientific processes and mechanisms. This study also deals with gaining a comprehensive understanding of how the human environment is affected by the natural scientific processes.
Earth Evolution Science Field is focused on the scientific study of structure, composition, history and mechanics of our planet by quantitative geological, physical, chemical and biological methods for forecasting the future.